I hope this is not too much of a tangent...

Over the last month I have probably looked at close to a hundred resumes.
This is only partially specific to the Chicago area, but there is a ton of
talent out there. There are a lot of folks with excellent educational
background, wonderful experience and great portfolios to show. What I find
myself more and more concerned with is the ability to partner with product
and technology folks to move great design forward and into the market.
Frankly, it really does not matter if you are the worlds greatest uber
designer...
if you can't sell it, work collaboratively and push your passion through the
labyrinth of compromise. Not everyone needs to have these skills, but in my
world it will surely get you hired quicker and make you a more complete
professional.

This has been my call to the world of education (both under grad and grad)
for the last year or so. You have to do more than supply studio skills. You
have to teach students to think, to adapt, to explore and to work in their
future environment.

Mark