On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Michael Vorburger <vorbur...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Sorry for jumping on older thread found while trying to clean up my Inbox:
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Colin Dixon <co...@colindixon.com> wrote:
>
>> We have since been able to relax the time limits on our builds in read
>> the docs to many hours. I think maybe 12, but Phil knows the actual answer.
>>
>> That means we could have a periodic job that produced javadoc there.
>>
>> --Colin
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Thanh Ha <thanh...@linuxfoundation.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I think for now keeping javadoc as maven site is probably the best way
>>> but we can move non-javadocs to Sphinx.
>>>
>>> It is possible to generate javadoc with Sphinx and you can see an
>>> example here [0]
>>>

> Looking at this ([0]) and seeing it's "un-usual" visual layout, I wonder
> if this would help me navigate the JavaDoc for an API I'd like to
> discover... it "feels" .. "unusual". How would you feel about just
> publishing the "standard" JavaDoc like [1] and [2] or even [3] of each
> project on a static site somewhere, like docs.opendaylight.org/javadoc or
> if that's difficult then even just javadocs.opendaylight.org?
>
> I realize the use of HTML Frames in JavaDoc is a bit 90s... ;-) but that's
> how virtually every Java project out there currently still publishes
> JavaDoc - so personally I would be hesitant with this JavaDoc to Sphinx
> integrated approach.
>
> AFAIK there have also been attempts to create more modern, and non-FRAME,
> JavaDoc HTML output straight from the JDK, but I couldn't immediately find
> any references if that went anywhere - if someone knows or can find more
> about this, let us know please.
>
> [1] https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/
>
> [2] http://docs.spring.io/spring/docs/current/javadoc-api/
>
> [3] http://help.eclipse.org/luna/advanced/content.jsp?topic=/
> org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/api/index.html

It's entirely possible to submit static javadoc api pages as sphinx does
allow for static page publishing but some concerns I have about it (no
necessary blockers or anything) such as the complexity of having more tools
in docs than necessary and perhaps yet more jobs in Jenkins but if the
community prefers the traditional JDK approach we can do it.

One of the nice things about doing everything in sphinx though is the theme
stays consistent with the rest of the docs site but that's not a
requirement.

Thanh