Quoting Michael Haan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Because it gets right to the question of whether or not technology can
> legally exist for making copies of copyrighted material.

it is also because they happen to care about fair use rights, beyond simple
selfish reasons.  Just think about it.  If the kinds of restrictions desires by
the record companies come into play, it will be illegal to copy CD's to your
hard drive even for personal use.  It will be illegal to resell your used CD's,
possibly even to copy to your mp3 player for jogging.

There was a recent ruling in Europe (not sure if it was EU-wide) that has
decided that copying from one format to another was illegal.  This means, if
you buy a CD, you can only EVER copy it to another CD.  I got too annoyed
before I could read the whole article in that case so I'm not sure if is was
just intrduced, or final legislation.  To me, the very consideration of such a
thing is just vile.

-kdf