I personally think that if you rip just to a lossy format you will come
to regret it.

HDs are now so cheap, and getting cheaper all the time, that storage is
not really an issue.  To rip 800 CDs at 5mins/CD (and IME that's quite
quick) will take you more than 65hrs, and at least if you do it
losslessly you'll then be able to batch convert to anything else you
want whilst you catch up on your sleep!  Whilst you're at it you may as
well use EAC in accurate mode and set the read offset for your drive
correctly - then you can be reasonable confident that your ripped files
are bit for bit identical to what's actually on the CD.

Even when you've ripped them all, you'll still have to spend some more
time fixing tags and stuff - and that's not something you want to do
twice either.

But then, audio quality is pretty important to me and YMMV.

--
Patrick Dixon