Goodsounds;329437 Wrote:

> The record industry squashed the DAT format for consumers sometime ago,
> maybe it was 15 years or so, out of fear that that would put "master"
> quality sound out on the street.

DAT is the same 16-bit PCM data as a CD, just sampled at 48 instead of
44.1 KHz. And DAT can run at 44.1 too. Back in the day I bought used,
degaussed server backup tapes for $0.25 ea and used them to *ahem* back
up my CD collection.

> But the recording industry was just fine with CDs, because it is far
> from master quality.

No, they got behind CDs because consumers loved the random access
capability and the ooh shiny factor, and because they are dirt cheap to
make. They also (if handled properly) last indefinitely - and if not,
well, they sell more replacement CDs. DATs take more physical abuse,
but degrade after many playbacks.

>  The low sampling rate, which is the problem, was chosen to allow enough
> capacity for hour long albums, +/-, on the form factor chosen.

You are talking about the difference between a frequency response of
0-22.05 KHz vs 0-24 KHz, and a difference in minutes-per-megabyte of
only -9%.

--
seanadams