It's a SD memory card slot, indeed.
I think I've read somewhere that it was mainly used during the beta
testing for dumping logs of the controller.
For now, the only use you can make of it is for flashing the
controller's programmable memory (think "firmware upgrade").
But, like the still unused IR-emitter and headphone socket, lots of
things could happen with this ...

--
sebp

System : Mac Mini for ripping to FLAC (Max) > SqueezeCenter 7.2 running
on a ReadyNAS NV+
Living room : Squeezebox 3 > Beresford DAC > Trends Audio TA10.1 > KEF
iQ9
Bedroom : Squeezebox 3 > NAD C315BEE > KEF iQ3
Kitchen : SB Receiver > Logitech SoundMan X1
'Last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/sebp)