Welcome!

You should use 7.2. It is extremely stable on XP. Most of the isssues
reported are Mac or Vista related..and to be fair most of the issues
are not problems with SC itself.

A must-have plugin is a very personal judgement. For me, Lazy Search
and AlienBBC are mandatory, as are MusicIP and Spicefly, Lyrics and
Biography

The internal DAC is very good for the price. Certainly it will compete
with most $500 CD players. To really get a clear improvement from an
outboard DAC you need to get into Benchmark territory or higher... and
you also have the additional cost of digital cabling.
DAC's are another very personal area of choice. To me they are like
vinyl cartridges. Most of them work fine, but some are preferred in
some systems to others. The DAC will not make as much contribution to
the sound as the speakers...

Even the very best DAC won't overcome poor speakers, amps and cabling.
Before you add an external DAC, try a replacement linear power supply
on the SB. These do not cost much and  believe the consensus is that
the internal DAC in the SB seems to benefit.

Enjoy your new purchase!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)