1) If you are using a library that is FLAC only, I think you will find
7.2 works just fine. However, I would be tempted to use 7.2.1 from the
nightly builds which has a number of bug fixes included. The list of
issues fixed so far in 7.2.1 be found at the top of this file:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.2/trunk/server/Changelog7.html
It may be that none of these is relevant to you, in which case go for
the formally released 7.2 version.

2) Make sure you have your basic server functionality stable before
going mad with trying various plugins. Whether you like lazy search
will depend on whether you plan to rely on the IR remote for selecting
music to play, or will use a laptop, or web-enabled phone or PDA as
your main interface. If you habitually have a Windows Laptop handy when
listening to music, consider using the curiously named Moose
(http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/ ) for seriously slick library
browsing and remote control.

3) I know a $1000 DAC made a significant difference for me (Benchmark
DAC1), but I think you should listen first to your new box. If you
decide to move ahead, try to purchase your DAC under a 30-day return
policy. The new Cambridge Audio DACMagic is about to go on sale for
$400 in the US, and might be worth a listen.

4) i) Get your server running now; there's no need to wait until the
hardware arrives (download it from here
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html or perhaps here:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.2.1/ ). Check you can
scan your entire music library and browse it from a web browser from
elsewhere on the network. Perhaps play a few tracks remotely using
softsqueeze.
ii) In case of any trouble doing the above, check your antivirus
software and/or firewall in case it is interfering with either the
scanning process or now allowing the needed ports to be open for
streaming or the web interface.
iii) Set the SB player's digital volume control to 100% (or disable
it in squeeze center) assuming you can control the volume using an
analog volume control in your amp or preamp.
iv) Always use an analog volume control somewhere between your SB and
the power amplifiers, i.e.,  don't try to use the SB3 as a pre-amp.

--
dsdreamer