kurtphyre;348877 Wrote:
> 1.) Which Squeezecenter version would be the best for me?  I've read
> some pretty negative things about 7.2 (the newest version).

You want the latest versions, 7.2.  If you go back far enough in the
forum archives you'll read some pretty negative things about every
version that was ever released. :)

> 2.) What are some must have plug-ins?  One guy recommened Lazy Search
> but I know of no other must haves.

IMO, none.  Most plugins have nothing to do with listening to music.

> 3.) Would a <$500 DAC improve sound quality enough to justify the <$500?
> Or the DAC inside of it better than a <$500 DAC?

Who can say if you would personally prefer a different sound from
another DAC.  Or if you would even hear a difference on your audio
system.

> 4.) What else should I know?

Have fun.

Be meticulous in ripping your CD library to hard disk and be anal about
keeping it backed up so that you never lose all your hard work.  Before
it's done you may come to realize that the most valuable part of the
entire computer/Squeezebox system will be the time that you've invested
in ripping your library and making sure that it's correctly and
thoroughly tagged.  The Squeezebox is far and away the most dispensable
piece in the equation.  If you decided to replace it next year with a PC
or Mac plus a USB DAC, or else some other standalone player, then you'll
be able to retain the most valuable system component - the library.

--
JJZolx

Jim