tamanaco;354910 Wrote:

> I think Sonos sees the iPhone app as a compliment to their hardware
> remote. Maybe this app is there to fill the gap before they release a
> new and improved hardware remote. How many Sonos users own an iPhone?
> How many iPhone user know/knew of Sonos? I see this Sonos app  as a
> strategy to "expose" iPhone/iPod Touch users to the Sonos. The Sonos
> iPhone Controller is a free application. I doubt that Sonos introduced
> it to cannibalized their hardware sales. Is more likely that they are
> using it to introduce their hardware system to a big existing and
> growing population of iPhone/iPod touch users.

You are right.  I am sure that Sonos sees their official FREE
iPhone/iTouch app as a way to encourage more sales of their hardware.
Sonos didn't develop their app because there wasn't a Sonos app on the
iPhone App Store.  There were already THREE Sonos apps in the app store
(a $20 one called ZoneMaster, a free lite version of ZoneMaster, and a
$15 one called Zones). Yet Sonos created a FREE app that virtually
duplicates their hardware controller (probably to the chagrin of the
guys that developed the $15 and $20 apps).

And I am SURE Sonos didn’t introduce it to “cannibalize their hardware
sales”. I am also sure that most Sonos controllers are sold with the
purchase of a buyer’s first Sonos player.  Likewise, I am sure that
most SBCs are sold with a buyer’s first Duet, rather than as a separate
purchase. There are ALREADY over 10 million iPhones out there, and who
knows how many iPod Touches, and that number is escalating every week.
Sonos sees the potential sales of lots of their players to all those
iPhone/iPod Touch owners as being a lot bigger that the potential sales
of ADDITIONAL Sonos controllers to their existing customers as being a
compelling business model.

As the owner of one SB2, two SB3’s, a SB Boom, and an iPhone (the
iPhone since the first week of July, 2007), and given the fact that I
ALWAYS have the iPhone in my shirt pocket, I would be the first to
encourage SD and Logitech to follow Sonos’ lead and develop a free
iPhone app for the App Store that duplicates the functionality of the
SBC, for both existing customers and for the same marketing reasons
that led Sonos to create a free app (even though, as I said, there were
already three Sonos apps in the App Store). With 10-20 million
iPhone/iPod Touch users out there, I can’t be the only one that has
both an iPhone or iPod Touch AND a Squeezebox.

--
Jim Wald