>But they are not identical.  The "Various Artists" that appears under
>"V" only contains compilations that *also* have artist="Various
>Artists".  In my test case several compilation albums (eg with
>different track artists) did appear under the first VA item but did not
>appear under the VA item at "V".

Ah, I think I was mistaken.  I went to Browse Artists > V section, and Various
Artists was listed for me at the top.  However, the "Various Artists" entry is
the special one that appears at the top of any Browse Artists page.  i.e. I
don't have two "Various Artists", just the specil "Various Artists" that is
listed on every page.

Compilations are listed under the special "Various Artists" entry.  If you have
compilation albums that also have an album artist, they are listed under both
"Various Artists" (because it's still a compilation album), and under the album
artist name.