All very true.   I don't have any movies set up in my video system at
all, either.

I use mine as a DVR on steroids.   I have two weeks of programming info
at any given time, powerful search functions, etc. I can stream any
recorded programs to three different TV's in the house, the kids can
easily watch any of their recorded programs in their room - I can
control what channels they have access to, etc - all over the IP
network and a set top box.

I've also had the ability for years to schedule my recordings over the
internet, even live stream my tuner or recorded programs over the net,
although, really - unless you're a total junkie, there's little reason
for it.

It's perfect for my needs.   I don't see a huge need for indexing, dvd
storage (and the numerous problems the encryption causes), etc.    But
as a networked DVR, it's awesome.   Random play of recorded video is
cool for the kids - they love selecting random shows to play at night
as they go to bed.

As for DVD's - if I play a DVD, I have full access to the menu
structure via MCE remote control.   You still do if you have the DVD
stored in DVD format on the HDD also --- a feature I've helped friends
with, but don't use myself.

FWIW, I don't use my video solution at all in the same manner as I do
my audio system.

--
86atc250r