Goodsounds;432065 Wrote:

> > the availability of 3rd party plugins, both music-related and not, is
> a key difference
> > between Squeezebox and its closest competitors. I think it should be
> more prominently highlighted
>
> Let's think about the target market. I'd bet the vast majority - maybe
> 3 of 4 - wouldn't understand or care about this at all. And, ultimately,
> won't distinguish available features as between sources. Do you think
> otherwise?
>
> These pages are the marketing equivalent of the  "elevator speech"
> cliche - putting specs of any kind only clutter and dilute the message.
> The message needs to be crisp and condensed. You'll notice that the
> specs are anything but prominent, that's not inadvertent.

It's difficult to prove which is better when two products do very
similar things; no Web site is going to persuade anyone whether
Squeezebox or Sonos is a better-sounding network music player. So it
makes sense not to spend time talking about -90 dB noise vs -100 dB
noise. What's easy to do is point out when a product does something the
other simply cannot. With a Squeezebox Controller, Classic, Boom, or
Transporter, I can display weather conditions & forecasts, sports
scores, commuter train information, and more. With Sonos, I could not.

Logitech shouldn't spend much effort marketing what's theoretically
possible with the Squeezebox open architecture, but it should promote
the expanded capabilities actually provided (usually for free!) by
third-parties. Consider weather. Greg Brown's SuperDateTime has offered
this for 4 years, but Sonos customers are left out in the cold; all they
can do is beg Sonos to provide this for their more expensive but
less-capable gear: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=5291,
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=11192

Logitech should seriously consider mining the Sonos forums to create a
feature comparison chart. Scanning through that second thread, it seems
like half of the things mentioned there are either standard features of
Squeezebox or available through  prominent (free!) plugins.

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver ContextMenu FuzzyTime KidsPlay
KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock