All the points that everyone has brought up, they *are* real problems
for us and we (mostly) know it.  At least a few times a week, for
instance, we make decisions including the consideration that we want the
community to continue helping us and being involved in testing new
software/products and in contributing to the product (with patches or
plugins.)

I think we're trying to find the 'right' solution between Joe Sixpack
ease-of-use and hackability.  Erland's certainly right that complaining
helps, and we can take an action-item to communicate back, too. :)

It seems sometimes like there's a clear trade-off between
closed-source, reliable, limited, friendly products and those that are
open-source, unreliable, hacker-friendly, but user-hostile.  However, I
think there are good paths down the middle as well.  Apple does have
success with the first course, but it's far from crystal clear to me
that their success is DUE to those four things alone.  We have to
develop our own synthesis (or gestalt!) for why our products are better,
and I think help from the community and an open source server can
continue to be part of that.

Software quality is always a challenge, and we have an extremely small
team to try to make it work.  As you've no doubt realized,
community-filed bugs are an incredibly important part of it.  I was able
to hire another QA engineer recently despite the economy, and he's freed
up some additional time for me.  We have a plan for test automation and
sharing test plans with the community so that they can help contribute
(something Dean and I have wanted to do for years), and I'll post
separately on those as they get closer.

I feel like I have to point out there have been some big improvements
since the acquisition, too.  The in-house development team is many times
as large as it was when I joined Slim!  It was Dan Sully and Dean part
time and Andy part time (when he wasn't doing SN ops)... and there was a
period when it was only Dean part time and Andy part time and the
community!  I sure don't miss the days when I'd find a bug and file it
in Bugzilla, but then didn't have anyone to assign it to.  And to have
been able to hire so many engineers who already knew the product and had
an interest in improving it is unheard of in my career!

As Michael said, we're not Slim Devices any more, but there is still a
core spirit left from those of use that joined before the acquisition,
and from new team members that know that Logitech bought us because we
had something special, and whatever we do next, we don't want to lose
the special!  There have been some personnel changes, but there's still
a lot of the original flavor remaining, in my opinion, even if some of
us have to spend more time working on detailed budgets and attending
meetings in Fremont than we did in the Slim days.

--
ChrisOwens

Christopher Owens
QA Manager