Hi,

I'm looking forward to buy a SqueezeBox. I don't want to keep my
old hi-fi around, as I want to keep things simple, and it's not that
special anyway. So I'm looking in into powered bookshelf speakers.
The gotcha is that my current speaker are in a bookshelf cabinet,
with books on the side and top, and this is the obvious place to put the
new speakers. With kids running around, I can't really consider other
options.

I searched the forum, and it seems that one of the favorite is the
AudioEngine 5. It's in the price range I was considering. The dimension
are also similar to my old speakers.
What worries me is that the bass-reflex is at the back (my current
speaker has it in front). My feeling is that I would be loosing all the
bass extension of the bass-reflex, and that may also impact the response
of the bass woofer.

First question : are my worry about the AudioEngine 5 bass-reflex
overblown ? Has anybody tested the AudioEngine 5 against a wall or in a
shelf ?
Second question : is there alternative speakers in the USA, similar
in price/size/feature as the AudioEngine 5 but more compatible with
bookshelf use ?

Thanks in advance...

Jean

--