upstatemike;518180 Wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you can use a ZP90 just fine without a controller if
> you access it from the PC GUI interface.

Yes, you can, but that's not really what it's made for (as the SB,
too).

> I just think the price argument is somewhat exaggerated.

Not so sure. In the case of comparing a one-zone-system 1:1 maybe not
so much, but Sonos really makes most sense if you view it as a
whole-house audio system and if you do that, you can go quite a bit
cheaper - plus probabyly even more user friendly in some situations -
with the SB due to the wider product range.
If you really just want a number of rooms outfitted with displayless
devices then you should really compare to the SBR. OK, the setup is more
cumbersome but you do that ONCE. At least I did and I have absolutely no
issues with my Receiver.

But you can also add a cheap kitchen radio that has it's own controls,
same for the bathroom. In a realistic scenario, if you compare to Sonos
you'll add a number off expensive S5s plus you'd need additional
controllers sice you have absolutely no UI whatsoever on any of the
Sonos devices and then probably one controller is not enough for a whole
house. OK, you can add iPods, but then you need WiFi (redundant!) again.

I still believe for a realistic setup with 4-5 zones you end up with at
least twice the cost for a Sonos system and that does even take
additional cost for a bigger NAS/Server for SBs into account.

Which doesn't change the fact that Sonos DOES do UI better than SB and
DOES do setup better, IMHO.
SBs have better functionality, though.

--
pippin