erland;566383 Wrote:

> So some questions to guide the discussion:
>
> 1.
> How do you find music in your own library ?
> - Which way to you browse/search ? (which browse or search menus)
> - Which type of remote/interface do you use ? Different for different
> situations ?
> - Do you find music through statistics based browse menus ? (ratings,
> play counts, history)
> - Do you find music through smart playlists based on statistics or
> random selection or other kind of automatic mixes ?
> - Do you use album art when selecting what to play ?
> - Do you typically start searching/browsing from an artist, album or
> track and want to find something related to that ?
>

> 2.
> How do you usually find new music you like to get but currently don't
> have in your library ?
> - Heard it on the radio ?
> - Where do you start when searching ? Top charts ? Genres ? Similar
> artists ?
> - Do you use some web site when searching or do you browse some music
> store directly ?
> - Are you using the computer, your Squeezebox or some other device when
> searching for new music ?
> - Do you preview the music before puchasing ? Do you preview it on the
> real system or cheep laptop speakers or something similar ?
> - Do you use a subscription based service so you aren't actually buying
> albums, you just need to find the albums/tracks you are interested in by
> browsing the service ?
> - Through reviews ? Any specific online site ?
> - Through friends ? Some community site ?
>

> 3.
> How would you like to be able to find music in your own library in the
> future ?
> - What kind of functionality is missing today related to browsing ?
> - What kind of functionality is missing today related to searching ?
>

> 4.
> How would you like to find new music you like to buy/get in the future
> ?
> - What would you like to do through the Squeezebox/SBS or one of it's
> remotes ?
> - What would you like to do on some other hardware ?
>

> 5.
> What kind of tagging/management do you do on new music you add to your
> library to make it easier to find stuff later on ?
> - Which additional tags do you add which isn't handled by standard SBS
> today ?
> - Is the folder structure the music files are stored in important ?
> - If you use Custom Scan, which additional tags do you add besides
> those supported by SBS ?
> - Do you manually add ratings to your music ? Why ?
>

> 6.
> Do you synchronize the data in SBS with some other application to make
> it easier to find interesting music ?
> - Import statisitcs from MusicIP ?
> - Export statistics to MusicIP ?
> [...]

1. i use custom browse with the artist per letter option and
include/exclude genres.
Occasionaly i use the lazysearch plugin.
I also use the dynamic playlist plugin to just let it play music with a
certain genre(s)
I used to use the MusicIP and Sugarcube plugin and i loved that
combination, however i switched to a sheevaplug as a server and MusicIP
is not supported for the sheevaplug (I really miss this option)
Just using the remote control.

2. via newsgroups on the internet

3. i'm happy with the functionality provided by the plugins i use

4. happy the way it is now, maybe it would be nice if more
musicservices would work in europe. however i would not take a paid
subscription.

5. i organize files in /genre/artist/album/track whereby genre is just
classical/jazz/rock/children
i add the MusicIP tag with genpuid, hoping that one day i can start
using it again.

6. don't use statistics or ratings
don't use itunes either

i have about 17000 music tracks and play them via a SB3, couple of
Booms and a Radio.

--
raven22

Setup: 1 SB3, 3 Booms and 1 Radio.
Server: SheevaPlug running SqueezePlug V2, SBS 7.6.0, Tonido (streams
.flac in webbrowser)