bluegaspode;630528 Wrote:
> Yep - that's because your bandwidth is not good enough for streaming
> FLAC.
> When you enter the Webinterface of Squeezebox-Server -> Settings ->
> Player -> HTC -> Audio
> there is an option 'bitrate limiting'.
> You can enter something sensible here (like 128kb/sec) if you have the
> LAME installed, and the Squeezebox-Server will convert your FLAC files
> to mp3 on the fly avoiding bandwidth problems.
>

> Renaming the SqueezePlayer player is not supported yet.

Got it -- I had seen some other streaming adjustment, I don't remember
where, but it looked like it would effect all players, and I didn't
want to do that.

So if I turn my phone off and restart SBS, so it doesn't see HTC Eris
anymore, then turn it back on, will it still have the same setting, or
does it only remember it as long as that particular player is active?

I have LAME installed, so I know it's converting (that was an issue in
the other thread I had started).  I dropped the bitrate to 192, but
considering the ultra-high quality of the Droid as a playback device, I
am willing to bet I can drop it more without noticing anything.

Thanks for all the help -- your program and SC are a great combo to use
- now I can listen to my music anywhere I have a cell connection.  Next
step:  Replace the port forwarding with a VPN for security.  (Things
like that are always a joy, since I have to repeat any firewall
settings twice!)

Oh, I saw somewhere in all the Googling that you were looking for beta
testers for native FLAC support for SP.  If streaming MP3 at too high a
bitrate makes the system choke, won't streaming FLAC files do even
worse?

Again, thanks for all the help!

--
HalNineThousand