1) For the m4a files you don't need lame, because that's for MP3. I
think for m4a you need faad. Getting that installed on a Synology is
outside my experience, but search over on the 3rd Party Hardware
section of this forum, as that's where most NAS-specific questions are
handled. There are a lot of SB + Synology users, so I'm sure someone
has dealt with it.

2) m3u files should be fine. Did you do a rescan of playlists after
copying the external file(s) over? You have to do that for SBS to put
the playlist in its database and make it accessible to you.

--
aubuti