With surge protectors you need a high rated clamping speed (time it
takes to detect the surge and engage the protection).
Not being a physics expert I suppose some surges are just too
quick/close for anything to stop it, I dunno.

Another thing to look into is a surge protector at your electric panel,
usually referred to as "whole house" surge protection.
It's just a surge device that is installed in a breaker slot in your
box.  You need one for each circuit (around here all homes have at
least two circuits).
BUT.... these are not meant to be used exclusively.  You should still
have local surge protection at your devices (computers, A/V rack,
etc..).

Another thing to look into is how well your electric panel is grounded.
This is an area where builders will cheat because few think to ask
about it, and even if you ask how would you know the grounding spike is
actually xx feet into the ground?  Also grounding spikes can deteriorate
over time (rust, corrosion, etc..).

I had my grounding spike replaced and had two of the breaker surge
protectors installed by a licensed electrical contractor all for under
$150.
The original ground spike was only 4 feet and it broke when they tried
to remove it as it was so badly corroded.  The new spike is like 6 feet
(might be 8 feet).
That contractor told me he can often just pull such grounding spikes
out of the ground by hand cuz they are often only two foot in length,
which is just not sufficient grounding.

--
toby10