We had a lightning incident here recently and the damage was fortunately
limited to a pair of DSL/Wireless routers connected to my DSL lines and
the Ethernet port of an Xbox360.

In the case of the wireless routers in at least one case the telephone
line interface was damaged as well as the power adaptor.

It seems the issue in this case was most likely not a high voltage
between the live and neutral wires of the mains but between the mains
wires as a pair and earth (ground).  In that case the path to earth is
through the DSL router to the phone line which has one leg grounded and
the damaged parts reflect this.

In the case of a cable line the same route is possible particularly if
the screen of the coax cable is grounded.  In this case grounding at
the customers premises probably acts more to protect the cable
company's equipment and that of neighbouring customers that it does to
protect your equipment.

--
Fozzy