I've been using ReplayGain consistently for about the past six months.
My library is in Flac and I've added RG tags, both track and album, to
all tracks in the library.

Typically, for background listening I have a Transporter (living room),
an SB2 (kitchen), and a Radio (bathroom) kept in sync. All of them are
set to 'Smart Gain'.

My experience has been that ReplayGain is much less effective than I'd
anticipated, and only offers some nominal degree of volume
normalization. Particularly when listening to Random Mix, I'm still
constantly fiddling with volume on the player in the room that I'm in.
If someone were to sneak in and disable ReplayGain on all players, I'm
not sure I'd notice.

Your experience?

--
JJZolx