dasmueller;660330 Wrote:
> ...Netgear WNR2000v2...2nd floor
> ...Touch on the 1st floor
If you have a vertically polarized dipole antenna, then any antenna
gain comes from reducing vertical spread for horizontal.
For example, a single-pint (theoretical) antenna would broadcast a
perfect sphere. Typically there's some gain, and the more there is, the
more the top and bottom of that sphere are shaved off and the sphere
starts to look like a cylinder.

So, yeah, tilting your antenna on it's side will change where that
cylinder goes. Sadly, you also change polarization a bit (things work
best when the antennas are polarized the same).

You can also put a reflector on the antenna (plenty of info online) or,
if your router has removable antenna(s) you can get an aim-able antenna
(panel/plate or parabolic - or even yagi, but I haven't seen an indoor
one) and just, well, -aim- it at your target.
Sounds like it's working, though, so why change things?

100 years old, eh? I guess you could pull ethernet cables through your
voice-powered speaker-tube intercom system, or are you still using
those? :)

--
bobkoure