I wanted this for a while and a problem with compilation albums (I tag
each songs original release year) meant that it didn't work
satifactorarilily.
I bit the bullet and entered an ALBUMSORT tag which means everything is
chronological within each artist, exactly as I wanted and I think as you
desire.

My albumsort tag was firstly made by copying the YEAR tags from track 1
of the non-VA albums and the highest value from the Various Artist
albums. I then went through and updated the oddities - mostly from
people who released two albums a year. I went for 2011a and 2011b for
example.

M.

--
InTheBath