Lyrics is a mess. I investigated a bit around the issue when I did the
Lyrics screen saver for iPeng for iPad and I believe the only way to do
it is to have a full licensing scheme in place which also monitors from
where the Lyrics are being requested.

The problem is that there are few sites who have _global_ rights for
Lyrics. Lyrics are authors rights which are usually being "sold" to
record companies doing the original publishing and then managed by
them. They do sublicense, of course, bu usually on a
per-country-basis.

Now since RIAA et al have little else to do than to hunt down what they
regard as "pirates" on the net and they can't prevent non-commercial,
Wiki-style sites from publishing Lyrics on the net in some legislations
they now focus on Apps using that stuff. For Apps, they don't have to
sue down the provider, they just write an unfriendly e-mail to Apple or
Google and then Apple or Google take your App down and ask you to
provide proof that you have a license to that content in all the
countries where you are selling the App.
The Lyrics Apps who have disappeard from the App Store that way are
legion.

So even if you do buy an expensive "License" from Musixmatch or
whoever, you still can't be sure that it has global coverage and you
might have to limit sale of your App in some regions (because you have
almost no chance to regulate the functionality per region). You might
have a better chance of not getting excluded (because through the
license you provide revenue to the record companies which they don't
want to stop you from doing) but there still is no guarantee. It's
almost certain you won't succeed with any free "license".

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com