results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

moos_man wrote:
> Hi cliveb,
>
> All great points, and I tend to agree with them. The question of own
> music vs services is an interesting one. I would envisage supporting
> very high quality playback of music stored on your local server(s) at up
> to 24bit/192kHz (which you can readily buy these days), but would also
> have to continue supporting, and even expand the cloud service
> offerings.
>
> I terms of services, moving away from current model of all services
> going though a cloud portal and back into a plugin mode is a possibility
> - there are pros/cons to this, but both ways are workable in my opinion.
> I have a fair bit of experience in this as I was a co-founder of a
> company which did a bunch of deals with the likes of
> Rhapsody/Pandora/etc - company shall remain unnamed for the purpose of
> this discussion :) The point here is that a re-vamped product range - if
> it was to go ahead - would, in my view, focus on both very high quality
> local playback and a rich set of services, hopefully providing the best
> of both worlds at reasonable price points.

I think one issue both slim devices and Logitech faced regarding
services was encryption and other secret "handshakes" the providers do
not trust this to be on a open source server.
Thus a cloud service was there to proxy and provide user login , but
mysqueezebox.com was closed source .
The paranoid service provider could keep their secret with Logitech and
we could use the service .
But I assume that most service providers are not that paranoid .
For example lib spotify that triodes uses , he can do that without
problems ( I assume ).

So a modiefied proposal is to actually require local server and only use
a cloud server for stuff that could not be done in any other way, this
would be a much lighter versions as the local servers do most of the
work ?