results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

Mnyb wrote:
> I think one issue both slim devices and Logitech faced regarding
> services was encryption and other secret "handshakes" the providers do
> not trust this to be on a open source server.
> Thus a cloud service was there to proxy and provide user login , but
> mysqueezebox.com was closed source .
> The paranoid service provider could keep their secret with Logitech and
> we could use the service .
> But I assume that most service providers are not that paranoid .
> For example lib spotify that triodes uses , he can do that without
> problems ( I assume ).

In my experience, many service providers are paranoid, especially the
big ones, which also are the ones people really want access to. Some of
them doesn't even give you access to an API before you are backed by a
company, can show that they as a service provider can earn significant
money on being part of it, and you have signed a NDA.

Mnyb wrote:

> So a modiefied proposal is to actually require local server and only use
> a cloud server for stuff that could not be done in any other way, this
> would be a much lighter versions as the local servers do most of the
> work ?

I don't think we should be afraid of a central server when playing
online music, if the software isn't maintained or is broken it doesn't
matter if it's installed locally or on a central server. Sure, some
geeks might be able to fix it if it's installed locally but for the
general user the situation is often worse if the software is installed
locally since he/she might not have the knowledge to realize that it
needs to be updated and how to install the update.

For local music playback the situation is of course a bit different,
this is something you want to be able to do without a central server as
you really don't want to end up in a situation where you can't play
music because your internet provider is doing some maintenance work.