bpa wrote:
> Are you in the UK or outside the UK.  If outside the UK are you using
> some sort of VPN to get good quality UK stream ?

I am in the UK.

> 1. The stream is not "clearly WMA" as if you are outside the UK WMA
> streams are 48kbps and AAC streams are 56kbps.  Radiotime can insert
> their own metadata so presence of pictures, data etc. cannot be used to
> decide the stream format.

In the case where I said it was clearly WMA was where it was pointing to
the BBC URL. In the cases where a Radiotime URL is used it does not
specify format (which based on what you say is probably the right thing
to do).

> 2. Don't waste time with Radio time urls. It will be a distraction.
> There is no http/mp3 BBC stream (IIRC there may still be a Flash/mp3
> stream for UK listerners). The Radiotime URL just lists the formats that
> the player can play - not the formats that are available from the
> station.

Too late, i tried it. :)

You appear to be right though. When I reduced the URL to just MP3 the
stream no longer flows and instead it plays a warning message that the
stream is not available in MP3 format.

> 3. The BBC iPlayer can choose different formats depends on the plug
> settings so unless you check the settings you cpould be getting. 128kbps
> AAC or WMA is only available to UK listeners.

I'm in the UK and I have the settings set to AAC.

> 4. Wifi signal may still be a problem - just because you can play a
> 320kbps MP3 does not measn you can play a 750kbps Flac which is what
> transcoded AAC.

Yes that's precisely what I suggested in my last post, right? I don't
have any Flac files right now but I'll create some and try pumping it
around the house. The reason why I don't think this is a network
saturation issue mainly comes down to the fact that there are two
devices on the network and only one of them (the one with the stronger
WiFi signal) shows this effect. Also there is zero difference between
having one device streaming and two so presumably by turning off the
second device -- in this case the Boom -- you'd have 1/2 the bandwidth
over the network and yet doing this does not prevent the problem from
happening. Instead it seems to be very episode-specific in nature
(meaning it is either happening or it is not and during a given period
of time).

> You need to get more precision with your investigation and definitively
> eliminate some possibiltiies. So far you have not done so regarding AAC
> vs WMA or Wifi.

I simply followed your instructions on how to get the codec. I think
maybe now that you've seen this post you'll start to agree that I have
done this adequately. The answer, with a certain amount of certainty --
and please suggest any alternative way of being more definitive -- is:

BBC on Radiotime - Unknown but not MP3
BBC on BBC URL   - WMA
BBC on iPlayer     - AAC

> Check the BBC IPlayer settings and change the settings to no transcoding
> and WMA.

I will change this to WMA (versus AAC) but what's the benefit? Both will
transcode to Flac, right? I will also turn off the "allow transcoding"
feature but won't that mean I can't listen to it?