garym wrote:
> I might drop the RAID requirement when looking at options. Of course
> RAID is *not* a backup solution.  (google for plenty of horror stories
> for those that thought RAID meant backup!).  RAID is useful for
> operations where any downtime is a real problem or costly (bank, online
> merchant,etc.).  Immediate access to backup is not typically needed for
> personal files.
+100
RAID != backup

For the two purposes the OP mentioned (serving music and backing up 3
Macbook Pros) it's hard to see a need for RAID. On the other hand, the
need for an offline (and ideally off-site) backup is crystal clear.

Of course, 8GB RAM is complete overkill for those purposes, too, so
maybe there is some other use that is driving these choices.

NB: I had to google 'demigrator', as I'd never come across it before.
Yikes, another reason for not running WHS....