For my main server I'm running vortexbox on a fitpc2, which is a very
tiny, fanless atom based computer about the size of your hand, they use
a whopping 5 watts, this just stays on all the time. You can put a
standard 2.5" laptop drive inside, if you can fit your library on one
2.5" drive you don't need an external drive.

The one problem is that it does not have an optical drive (it's smaller
than a CD!), I have to use an external USB optical drive to load the
software and do ripps. I just plug that in when I need it.

If you have terabytes of songs the official vortexbox appliance is
probably a better solution.

The fitpc2 is completely silent and really tiny, it is also very rugged,
it is designed as an industrial computer, so should last a long time.

John S.