What type of APs are you using?  G or N and if N are you using 40mhz or
20mhz bandwidth?  In the US only one N at 40mhz AP fits in the spectrum
with the 3mhz seperation between channels.  Two APs overlap slightly and
can be used with out too much interference but 3 can cause enough
interference to severely degrade performance unless you have a really
big house with long distances between APs.  In large homes requiring
multiple APs we almost always use N type APs with 20 mhz channels for
this reason.  When using two we'll set the most likely used AP to 40 mhz
and the second to 20 mhz.

Here's a good link that explains:
http://www.connect802.com/80211n_channels.htm