So:

Touch (wifi) connected no probs;
SB1 (powerline ethernet) connected no probs;
Garage SB1 (powerline ethernet) connected fine;
SB3 in the cellar connected fine.

but still the two Booms just can't get through. I've done several
factory resets; the see the network SSID instantly, they offer wireless
strengths of 70 and 80+ percent, but they just can't connect to the
network.

This leaves me with two questions I think:

1) If the PC version of LMS had been 'off' and I switched it on; would
it try to 'take over' players?? Could there be a conflict in there? I'd
have thought a factory reset would clear this though.

2) Assuming there isn't a Boom firmware issue, or both Booms decided to
'die' on the same day - at the very beginning, when I was trying to get
the first troublesome Boom to connect I 'deleted' both their MAC
addresses from the reserved address list on the router. I assumed that
meant they would revert to 'random' IP allocation via the DCHP server -
but would that maybe 'block' them somehow?

Any other suggestions why it would be just the two Booms? As I said
above, the one in the kitchen is probably the most used of all the
players and has never really given any problems till now.

Ta

SB "user" since 2000...
2 x SB1 ; 2 x SB3 ; 2 x Boom ; 1 x Touch ; 1 x Controller
Windows 7 and LMS Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195

Next step... a Vortexbox?