thanks guys,

I have a spreadsheet too - with all the MAC addresses, IP addresses,
device names and so on - it's not that I'm hopelessly disorganised!:D

Just to recap though on some things above. I did set the router DHCP and
static ranges to avoid conflicts, but I'm increasingly convinced that
some construction issues are disrupting the wifi network. Perhaps if I'd
addressed this first I wouldn't have had so many issues. I'm struggling
for time to install a second WAP for the next few weeks, but when I do,
I'm hoping it will make a significant improvement.

After that I'll probably try what get.amped has suggested - a smaller
range of static addresses, and then reserved DHCP. Watch this space.

Thanks

SB "user" since 2000...
3 x Touch; 2 x Boom ; 3 x Classic; 1 x Controller
Spares - 1xClassic; 2xSB1
Controlled by iPad using 'Squeezepad'
Vortexbox appliance running LMS version 7.8