pkfox wrote:
>  the OS on the Pi is Debian Wheezy with all updates applied ( LMS is 7.8
> ) - whether it's using soft or hard float I don't know -

Debian wheezy comes on hard and soft float depending on when you
installed it and where you got the distro.

I think you may have softfloat either in Debian and/or LMS as I feel
that Pi could transcode one stream if using hard float but it would need
confirmation to prove it ( a few years ago I had a 250Mhz MIPS based NAS
which could decode a AAC and encode Flac stream so I think a 700Mhz ARM
should be able) .