I got a response from the BBC today regarding my most recent complaint.
They completely ignored my complaint about Listen Again, and gave their
standard response:

-Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.

I understand you are unhappy with decision over Audio format closures.

We thought long and hard before deciding on the direction for Audio
Factory. The system replaces, not just the online streaming systems for
national radio, but also the systems for the nations and local radio. As
such we had to make choices around standardisation.

We have decided to use the http streaming formats HLS, HDS and DASH. We
began communicating our plans to internet radio manufacturers over 12
months ago. HLS streams are now available to internet radios and
aggregators that wish to use them. We have been working with various
manufacturers to help them develop their products where possible to
support our new streams. We are actively working on delivering our audio
using the non-proprietary DASH delivery format to support other
manufacturers and their devices going forward.

The Shoutcast AAC streams we provided for network radio only, relied on
very old hardware and unsupported software. They had a very high support
overhead. We have kept a single shoutcast stream of every live service
to support devices that will never be able to play HLS, HDS or DASH
streams. Whist we cannot promise to support shoutcast for more than 1 to
2 years, we will monitor the number of users and the quality of our
service and base our decision making on the impact to the audience.

Our new ShoutCast streams are unrestricted which means that we can make
them available both in the UK and globally, this significantly
simplifies how they are served, but does mean that users whose devices
can only receive the ShoutCast stream and not one of the new HTTP
streaming formats will hear a version of the stream which will blank
sport where the BBC does not hold international rights. The new HTTP
streams are available in both UK and international variants, which
allows those in the UK to continue to enjoy the Sport that we broadcast
as usual. We are investigating to see whether there is anything we can
do to return access to the UK streams for those who are affected by
this, we are working hard to get this resolved before big occasions like
the Country Cricket.

I hope that manufacturers will be able to support our new streams or
upgrade existing devices as time goes on, and we will do our best to
support them as the technology continues to evolve.

We’ve published a new blog that addresses some of these points and is
also worth reading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/977a1954-658f-4fb2-a23c-71680c49882f#comments

I hope this information helped.

Thanks for contacting us.

Kind regards

Patrick Clyde

BBC Audience Services

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
-

There really is no hope for us dealing with such organisations. :(

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS & Squeeze2upnp to MF M1 CLiC (to MF amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.  Minimserver (server) & upplay (control
point) to same renderers & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.  Squeezelite to
Meridian USB Explorer DAC to speakers/phones.  Wireless Xubuntu 14.04
laptop with firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.   Have a Touch
with EDO, and a spare, but don't use.