sbp wrote:
> Hi philippe.
>
> I think that would be a great idea.
> Maybe include some buttons and a rotary button for adjusting sound
> level?
>
> Greg and I have been discussing supporting a display for the
> piCorePlayer for some time now. But we have been reluctant because there
> are so many different screens so it would be difficult to support them
> all. Therefore, we have been following the discussion closely and
> waiting for the announcement of the official raspberry display:
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=64041
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=104630
> http://raspi.tv/2014/raspberry-pi-official-7-inch-dsi-prototype-preview
>

> From what can be read the screen could be announced very soon - but then
> again the discussion started already in 2013!!!
>
> We have more or less decided to wait for this display. The advantage
> would be; It does not connect via HDMI, so the HDMI port is free for
> audio-out connection. It will probably be supported very well from the
> raspberry foundation, so the drivers are available and last but not
> least we would only have to support the official screen.
>
> For your project it probably also will be difficult to make a design
> that can fit several displays. So you will have to make a choice on
> which screen you are supporting.
>
> Regards
> Steen

I was thinking about choosing only one option like this one
http://www.adafruit.com/products/2423 to start with and potentially in
the CAD design, makinn the housing of the screen separated to that it is
possible, in the future, to adapt just that piece to another display.
But this one would give a capacitive display and 4 buttons. Is 320x240
enough and 2.8" or do you think the interest is for something bigger ?
There is a 480x320, but I don't think anybody wants to go resistive. The
rotary button is tempting, but I have to stay with something that is
just an assembly of existing pieces for people that do not want to use
sodlering, so we would need to find something that would fit on the
raspi "as is" and provide pulses up/down to be converted to volume
changes. I did not find anything (yet)

In my initial thread, I said A+ but in fact it must be B+ or B2 as I
assume some will want ethernet

LMS 7.7.2 - 5 radio, 3 Boom, 4 Duet, 1 Touch, 1 SB2. Sonos 2xPLAY:1,
PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBMC, Foobar2000, XBoxOne
(sort of)