Without much hassle at all I've got the following bits working together
nicely.
- Pi 7" screen
- RPi 2
- IQaudio DAC+
- IQaudio AMP+
- 2 x 3" full-range speakers
- 19v power supply

For expediency I used the max2play software (the version with the 7"
screen and Jivelite capability built in) which allowed all the necessary
configuration to be done via the web-interface.  I was surprised how
easily all the hardware and software came together and just worked!
Rather than the separate IQaudio DAC+ and AMP+, an alternative is to use
the IQaudio Digiamp+ and save a bit of space and some cash.

Next steps: I prefer PiCoreplayer and will configure that to do much the
same with a Jivelite interface when I have more time.   And I need to
build the speakers into a decent speaker cabinet and mount the screen on
the top.