So a takeover of squeeze to widen the audience slightly may include more
expenses than the server park . Some massive spurt of new development ,
the best system can be better . Mass market would expect it to adjust
tags rip CD's have a music download shop etc and all streaming services
.
so it's very uphill to leave the niche .

You're talking about niche and mass market in the same paragraph.

Ripping CDs, or even _downloading_ music is very much niche nowadays. Let alone tagging files. Sound quality is even more of a niche (as long as it is loud and has BASS, it sells anyway).

Mass market is online streaming. Full stop.

The personal flac/mp3 collection was a transitional thing. Like it or not. I didn't believe our marketing guys a few years back, but am clearly seeing it now. Take eg. the UE Megaboom. It costs as much as a Squeezebox Boom did. But you have no idea how much better they sell... and I doubt it gets to play a lot of personally curated music files.

From a technical point of view there seems to be another hint in this direction: the first music services out there invested quite a bit in copy protection etc. Nowadays imho they don't care about this anymore, simply because there's little interest in copying music files when you can stream them online for little to no money.

BTW: did you see all those jokes about Adele's latest album (not available for streaming)? People coming up with "how to play a CD" tutorials for all those poor digital natives who've grown up with youtube and the like? :-) _They_ are mass market.

But why not settle for being good in this niche off music entusiast with
terabytes of local files , like me . It's a big world you can be
sucessfull in niches too .

True.

I'm a bit inbetween i listen to 90% my own files and expereince new
stuff trough services and the ocasional science talk radio stuff . And
sometimes actuall Radio .

"actual" radio as in online stream? Pretty much my behaviour. I still have way too much music which is not available from streaming services.

--

Michael