bits wrote:
> Where is your local music coming from if not from a server?
> That server might be your pc or a nas but it needs to be available
> somewhere.
>
> Streaming services may remove the need for local files. Many uses have
> abandoned their local files.
> But if you do desire local files a "server" already exists or you have
> some horrible duplication of all files to all machines?
>
> Squeezable touch supports/supported a duplication of your files and to
> be connected direct to its usb port.
> But if you are doing that, you are doing it wrong.

Sonos server is essentially built into each unit. The files have to be
served from somewhere locally, but that can be a NAS or some sort of
drive attached to a router, etc.  I assume this is the main reason that
Sonos is not willing to update their software in any significant way
(key issue for me would be the 65,000 track maximum).  Doing so would
effectively make all the old SONOS players unusable with newer units.

In today's world of micro computers the size of a pack of cigarettes
that can run  things like LMS, the need to have a "PC running" has
become less and less of an issue.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng8 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify