My hardware is just commodity x86 stuff. It would seem to me the source
of the issue is the processing and/or representation of the music
library. Why would 450Gb be a problem? There may be a few links in that
tree but nothing excessive. Can this not handle symlinks?  I'd like to
do this: "change the memory settings in the Performance section of the
server settings" Can you tell me where to do that so I don't get lost
digging?

Looks like library.db hasn't been written to for the past 30 min and
there's no scanning proc running. library.db is at 11Gb. I'm tempted to
restart squeezeboxserver to see what happens at this point but I'll wait
to see if you have any suggestions?