THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE.  I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Update:

I bought another album from the same web site (showup records).

This time I bought it and downloaded it on to my home mac then
transferred the new album to my external drive.  Like the last album, it
would not show up when scanned.
I had to batch convert from the downloaded AIFF format to FLAC on the
mac, then put that version on to my external, then it showed up when
scanned, properly tagged.

It's good to at least have a solution, but it's still frustrating to be
stuck with a kludge for buying digital music.