I started a home music system in 2009 based on Squeezebox.  I am still
VERY happy with it.

Gradually my library has expanded to approx 12 TB of mainly FLAC files.

Currently the music files are spread over six 3 TB hard drives that are
housed in an Medisonic USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure:

Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 ProBox 8 Bay 3.5" Hard Drive External Hard Drive
Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GYDMYG/ref=pe_385040_3033...

It has been in service since 2013 and seems to have been a pretty good
solution. I had to replace one early due to complete failure but it was
under warranty.

The hard drive enclosure is connected to a dedicated NUC computer which
runs the Squeezebox server software and keeps the music indexed.

HOWEVER, recently I notice hashes mismatches when transferring files to
the discs.

When I transfer files to the Mediasonic enclosure, I get the mismatches;
when I transfer files to any other attached USB drive, there are no
mismatches (I use Teracopy to verify the file transfers)

I read in a couple of reviews that the problem with these units lies in
its jmicron controller.

So I have a few questions:

1. Should I just replace the obviously problematic unit? or,
2. Should I consider other options?

Other options might be a NAS but I really want something faster such as
my NUC because I use that computer as a Shoutcast server and as a
Madsonic server which allows me to access my music outside of the house
via phone apps or other computers. I doubt a NAS would be able to run
all this software and give reasonable performance.

I suppose I could build a computer with 6 drives but that would
obviously be pretty expensive and not sure how many cases will hold 6-8
drives.

Interesting to note that I have not had a drive failure in 3 years of
continuous use. I use NAS drives and I back them up regularly to an
external hard drive dock, one at a time.

I'm not interested in other music streaming options than Squeezebox as I
have a number of still functional Squeezebox players including a Touch,
a couple of Booms, and a Radio.  Additionally I have built several
picoreplayers.

Thanks for reading this and helping if you can.

Jim

http://zzzone.net
http://have-a-nice-day.org
http://www.last.fm/user/zzzoneDOTnet
http://somethingsomethingsomething.net

SBS 7.9 - i7 nuc - Win 10 64bit
5 Booms, 2 Radio, 3 Touch, 1 Duet, 5 piCorePlayers including 3
touchscreen, 1 Avy
2 controllers, various tablets/phones
Apps including iPeng, Squeeze Ctrl etc.
'Library' (http://zzzone.net/photo/2009/music1.jpg): 397,000+ FLAC/MP3