sgmlaw wrote:
> This may be controversial to the anti-RAID contingent who views audio
> and video files as ‘static data’, but another option is a quality
> outboard HW RAID enclosure to the server machine of your choice.
>
> We have a similar library to the OP: rapidly approaching 15TB.  We have
> not just a lot of media, but a lot of hours invested in organizing and
> tagging it.  It is a dynamic data volume, as new media is constantly
> being added, and old media occasionally updated, retagged, re-coded, or
> archived as new media and clients come and go.
>
> We’ve kept it (all backed up locally and offsite of course), on a Areca
> 4-bay TB enclusure for a number of years.  This type of enclosure and
> connection will easily saturate the bus of any host machine, and any
> ethernet connection that machine is attached to.  It is compact, quiet,
> scalable and expandable, and is fault tolerant.  Host machine migration
> is a snap, you simply move the enclosure TB cable over to the new
> machine.
>
> The newest version of it is TB3 and USB3 capable, so it will accomodate
> just about any host machine.
>
> I am not a fan of NAS-based data servers for larger libraries and or
> with many clients.  They require so much processing power to handle
> large libraries with mixed multiple clients that you are ultimately
> better off with a freestanding server machine.  Smaller libraries or
> those with fewer clients might pull it off, however.  But not in our
> environment.

I agree but also disagree.

It is best to run the server software on a machine that has the
processing power to do it.

As to where the files reside. A NAS is made for file storage and usually
has the backup tools built in to make backup painless.

I run LMS on a small but powerful machine with a small SSD that holds
only the Linux operating system and the LMS installation. The NAS is
mounted by NFS.

I have changed LMS servers many times over the years but the storage has
persisted.

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng