florca wrote:
> Maybe a slight tangent from the original topic, but...
> I have four original, white SB3s which I am *very* attached to, partly
> due to their near-perfect industrial design
For me the SB3 is the ideal model, nice form factor and a display I can
read at a distance.
However, like me, they're not getting any younger and the signs of age
are beginning to show. My main player recently died (likely the internal
PSU, a fair chance it can be fixed), but even if I get it going again,
the VFD is beginning to fade now.

florca wrote:
> So.. has anyone attempted to strip out the entire internals and replace
> with something like a Pi zero + mini-DAC (something like a 'HiFiberry
> DAC+ Zero'
> (https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-zero/))?? I haven't
> even opened up any of mine to see how much room is available, and the
> obvious challenge would be how to either replace the display (with
> what?) or maybe drive the existing one (how?).
I've had similar thoughts, the work that has been done on the ESP32
based projects looks amazing, but the display is the crux. There doesn't
seem to be any equivalent displays using "contemporary" technology.