I went over for advice to the MP3tag forum, and it was suggested that
the residual tags might be linked to APE tags somehow. Received helpful
advice on to strip these out using MP3tag, which I did. There are no
remaining APE tags.

Sadly, no joy.

The same residual tags are showing up after having done that adjustment
on some 244 files, and then doing a full rescan of the library. It's
clearly something in the tag structure, not a holdover within LMS, as I
did a complete conversion to a PCP server, with a complete new scan and
a different file path. Still the same result -- a number of genres are
shown, but they are empty. The genre is identified from somewhere, even
though there are no files with that genre tag.

This is a mystery.

R.

LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm
speakers
Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
Radio (WiFi) - home office
Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used),
Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
Touch x 1 - spare
UE Radio x 1 - spare
Boom x 1 - spare