Now that I'm using one as an alarm clock radio I'm
inclined to agree!

Just something simple.  A small class D amp chip
like the Tripath TAA2009 - nice-sounding but
cheap, 9W/ch at 89% efficiency, good for battery
power consumption and average output power for a
"boombox".  Good (but inexpensive) speakers in the
4" range, with possibly small tweeters.  Simple
but classy aesthetics like a Tivoli radio.  A
remote wouldn't be required but there would need
to be some sort of control buttons.

For this use, I wouldn't be interested in
portability/battery power so much as
built-in/included speakers and an amp.

And yes, there's no need for digital or analog
outs.  As you indicate, we have the full-blown SB3
for "critical" listening.  So Slim can do away
with the S/PDIF circuitry, quartz timers and
high-end DAC.

BRB wrote:

> A poll associated with this post was created, to
vote and see the
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17185

> Question: Who wants a Squeezebox Boombox?
>
> - I'm interested.
> - No, thanks.

> Just to add my voice to the forum: I would
definitely buy a squeezebox
> with integrated amp and speakers. I have a SB3
connected to my stereo,
> but, as many have said in this forum, I don't want
to have to get
> speakers + amp + power supplies for every room.
>
> I'll use EnochLight's post as a start for mine
(sorry about that 8-).

> EnochLight Wrote:
>> [...] runs on batteries (optionally).
>>

> I haven't made my mind about that completely... But
given that the main
> goal of the boombox would be portability, well, yes,
I'd vote on that
> too. By the way, how about rechargeable batteries?
Like a laptop, kind
> of. I haven't seen that in any other similar product
(say, the Roku
> radio).
>
> One keeps it in the kitchen most of the time, or at
least "docks" it
> there (every night or some such thing), but takes it
out to the garden
> occasionally. No need to worry about batteries
running out all the
> time, stocking extras of the right type, etc.
>
> I wonder what's the feasibility (power consumption)
of powering a
> squeezebox on batteries.
>
> EnochLight Wrote:
>> No CAT5 port needed; just make it 802.11 G and all
will be good

> Agreed.
>
> For a device that would be producing sound in my
kitchen, I'd also
> leave out the high quality sound outputs. Of course
it has to sound
> decent, but that's about it.
>
> EnochLight Wrote:
>> It could be more expensive, but not by much.  Since
many users might
>> jump ship to such a device if it possesses the same
features as the
>> standard SB3, there'd have to be a happy medium.
>>

> Frankly, I wouldn't want it to be more expensive.
And that might be
> possible without the sound outputs. And I wouldn't
either want a
> boombox with the same features as the SB3. I don't
think I'd ever put a
> significantly larger device on top of or beside my
stereo... and then
> proceed to use the stereo's speakers instead of the
built-in ones. For

--

  Mark Lanctot