I'm having problems with the directions you stated. I saved the script
as a .pl file,

it must be .pm, not .pl

Even if I could get it to show, I have no idea what you mean by linking
it to a text file to display my message. Where would the .txt file go?

That's what you define in the $datei variable: $datei="c:/boot.ini" will display c:\boot.ini. $datei="c:/letter/to/my/dear.txt" will show "c:\letter\to\my\dear.txt".

I wish there was simple easier way to scroll custom text when the
player is in screensaver mode.

There is, I'm sure. But I don't know of anybody who's created a plugin for that purpose.

--

Michael