I was wondering if there was a plug-in that allows you to scroll
user-customized text and use that as a screensaver?

You can use the CLI or special web requests (see the docs in the slimserver's help section) to display text. Or you you want the same text to be displayed all the time? I published a simple file viewer plugin over in the German forum. It will display a text file in one line (screensaver) or line by line (interactively).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=820&d=1138896714

Well... "Dateibetrachter" means "file viewer". Just replace path and file name in the $datei variable to your likings.

--

Michael