Jon Wrote:
> I am surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned what I am planning on
> doing, once I finish ripping all of my CDs ... which is, to create a
> book for my family room (where the CDs are currently kept) containing a
> catalog of all my CDs, complete with cover art.  I'll probably have
> about 8 albums listed per page, each with cover art, artist, album
> title, genre, and maybe even all the song titles ... and will sort them
> by genre (grouping similar genres together) and then artist name.  I
> might even maintain a separate book containing album covers only, with
> maybe 50 covers per page.  Then, whenever I want to search through my
> collection for something to play, I can just flip through my own
> personal album catalog.
>
> I am actively searching now for applications that will make it easier
> to accomplish this (suggestions, anyone?), OrangeCD and Music Label
> 2006 are the two that look most promising.  In my early testing,
> OrangeCD did a great job overall of pulling in all of the tags and
> album art, and generating a report containing the basics (including the
> album art) was easy ... but it is very limited in how you can arrange
> that report.  I have not been able to get Music Label 2006 to correctly
> read my WMA tags yet, but it appears to have a very powerful
> report-generating capability (including a seperately priced custom
> report designer).

Hello Jon,

I'm actually going to do this with my self-created DVDs with OrangeCD
(don't need to for CDs - as we will never use such a book to find/play
music).

I agree - the format for printing in OrangeCD is very limited.  There
is a templating system, and it comes with a template editor, but I have
not bothered to try it.  Some folks have made some very nice web
templates.  You might want to look at its DAX editor.

I tried MusicLabel 2005 and 2006.  It has serious flaws, and database
corruption.  I've corresponded with the author several times, and while
he is very responsive, doesn't seem to understand the importance of a
robust database.  After several trials, I gave up on the thing.

I also tried Helium Music manager - it is very good.  It was lacking on
feature that was critical for me, so I didn't abandon OrangeCD for it.
You can customize its reports to your liking.

Jon Wrote:

> What I have not yet figured out is how to keep this book up to date
> when I get new CDs, without having to reprint the entire thing (or at
> least the entire genre) ... I am thinking about leaving some blank
> space on every page, so I can just reprint single pages (for a while,
> anyway) ... or, alternately, printing supplimental pages as I acquire
> new CDs, then once a year or so reprinting the entire book.
>
> Again, suggestions for better tools to use, or better ways to keep this
> book up-to-date are welcome!

Without having duplicates or blank spaces, there will be no way for you
to insert a CD into the middle of your catalog, and not reprint pages.
You could of course have tabbed alphabetic sections, A, B, C, ..., and
then you'd only have to reprint from the inserted CD for that section.

--
MrC