This sounds vaguely like a problem I read about somewhere else ... if
some disks are password protected and some aren't, you can't log onto
the different disks on a single server with different userids.

What?

If disks d, e, f and g are all on your qnap, they all have to be
accessable using the same userid/password combination.

If disks d & e are on your qnap and f and g are on some other disk,
then d & e need to have the same userid/password, and f and g have to
have the same password.

This appears to be a limitation of windows, or windows networking, or
something.

I'm doing this from memory, and I don't remember where I saw it, and it
doesn't apply to anything I do, so I'm not sure if I got it right, but
it's something in that general direction.

BTW, this isn't totally silly ... the intention is that the user is the
item automatically given priviledges at login, not the disk.

--
Michaelwagner